Saturday, February 13, 2010

Oh No!!!! I Broke my 60" Westcott! Wait...I CAN FIX THIS!!!

This actually did not happen just now, but actually two days ago on Thursday February 11th at the BAC gathering. What I remember from Zack Arias, the 60" inch wescott can collect a bunch of air and you might just be able to "sail to China on one of these", and it almost did with my $480 580exII on it! Ha, just playing, it was on the stand by itself and I had it on my camera for some panning strobist shots. Anyway, just a small breeze of 5mph took it down. Seriously if you dont have an idea how large it is, think of a dome the height 5 food kid up in the air and almost 2 feet deep. Yea, big. Sadly it fell on its side and busted 2 ribs and 2 supports to the 60" Wectcott umbrella!



Feeling sad, I got creative to save my umbrella investment with zip ties, tape, and a pair of chopsticks! YES, that is right, chopsticks. If you ever have an umbrella fall down to it's doom and smashes a side, really all an umbrella is made of are aluminum ribs connected to a shaft with fabric stretched over it. To fix a tear in the fabric just stitch it up with some white thread, but if you break a rib, you have to splint it! My splint of choice was a wooden chopstick set I took from a Chinese fast food store. taping the cracked rib to the chopstick i finished it off with some zip ties to make sure it was stable. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment