Saturday, February 6, 2010

First Shots With the New Gear



Well I said I would post up some of my strobist work soon and so here it is! This was super fun! I tired out allot of my new gear and man did I have a blast taking pictures of my buddy Pa Cheng on his Fixie! We decided to meet at the Milpitas auto gatherings and give myself a crash course learning my gear!

The shot was pretty simple using one light, one stand, my radio triggers and some CTO gel to make things look clean. Ill get into what gels are in a later post. Using my Bogen 3336 stand and my 580exII I set the rig having it mostly to my cameras right side up high about 8 feet with the flash angled down. This then rains down orange light to light up Pa. This day was really windy and I didn't dare use an umbrella so that is why the 3336 stand was used because Pa came pretty close a few times to the stand and if he were to just tap it, chances it probably still stand.

I had this stuff down to a science that day. I played around at 1/4 power on my flash to start and threw it at f4 to see the exposure and thing were very bight! I closed up to f5.6 and it was perfect at ISO 200. Shutter speed was set at 1/60 to try and pull some light from the back. Sadly though batteries were dying fast since I used them the night before so I had to change some things with my settings. To keep the same exposure, all i did was take my flash, and reduced the power to 1/8 and then kicked up the ISO to 400 keeping the aperture the same since that controls my flash exposure. So reducing the flash by 1 stop of light, and kick the iso up 1 stop of light balanced out my exposure again and allowed me to keep shooting quicker getting some cool moments.

Check it out!


1 comment:

  1. so0o0o0o good. nice ones. can you take some of me? lol

    ReplyDelete