Sunday, February 21, 2010

Coffee Store Photo Shoot!!!!

Yep that is right, a photo session inside a darn coffee shop! A Robert Adams first! This day I felt the urge to go out and use my darn camera gear and boy is it great to use my camera again! Today I found myself in Los Gatos, a great small town to go to a cake shop, get a pastry, and go to the local coffee roaster for a a dink to fuel PHOTOGRAPHY!

I went with a friend Margaret, a fellow classmate of mine that is artistic and has a interest in Photography and I chose to show her whats up about what I do so she could try out my style crafting a photo! We chose to sit in a corner where there was a long bench, cramped table space, and a scarce amount of chairs in a corner of a store...Not the best location but I didn't let that stop me!

 
Clamped to the bench on the wall. Later hand held!

Here is the first set up. since I was on a bench, I noticed its construction was thin enough for me to clamp to it! I rigged up a super clap, umbrella bracket set up, and threw on my 43" umbrella with a 580exII. Just quickly setting it up, I surprised Margaret taking a quick and dirty photo. Most of she shots are just messing with flash exposure compensation. That is an auto feature provided with the TTL systems on cameras.

 
1/60 f5.6 ISO100

She found the difference in light amazing! I selectivity chose not to expose the background as much to show the effect on her with my umbrella. To give her an idea of what it look like if i balanced out my flash  I opened up to f2.8 and raised my ISO to 400 to allow it to quickly expose the background.


 
1/80 f2.8 ISO400

Next I  took of the rig from the bench and slight hand held the flash for the next few shots just to see what it was like to have show and tell about what goes on.


 
 

These next shots were just taking something as simple as a table, and if you have a clamp and a bracket you can pull off really neat looking lighting dynamics to your shots. I clamped my light about two feet away from me on the table to give me off camera lighting from the other side of my camera. Here is a pic of what that looked like.

  

Before the pink gel you see in the picture was added I took a shot to see what effect direct flash had on my friend. It was pretty fascinating the outcome! The next photo was taken with the pink gel added to alter skin tone for the fun of it!


 
 Next I stopped using my 580 in wireless TTL, because that didn't really give me control over my photo. So I took another clamp out, and put it on the bench again,switching to my two Nikon Sb's with triggers. Here I can tell you the powers that that is 1/32 power.

Test @ 1/50 f5.6 ISO200 PERFECT!!

1/50 f5.6 ISO200
Tuning my transmitter over to Margaret, I ran her though how to get a good exposure of me using my lights angled at my face. I gave her a Circular polarizer to cut down on reflections.

One strobe on. 1/15 f8 ISO1600

Two strobes on. 1/15 f8 ISO1600

Told to cut down on the ISO!! I thought it was 100... 1/15 f8 ISO100 Now were are getting there! Just need to open the aperture more.
 Good exposure! 1/15 f5.6 ISO100

Now to pose. (I thought the first was too serious) 1/15 f5.6 ISO100

Geled the left strobe to mimick the gloomy outside weather. Its like an aquarium! 1/15 f5.6 ISO100

So this was a great mini session how to use flash! Great shot. Again I personally set up the lights to just do a headshot of my face. Exposing the background was user preference, but its pleasing to me with the shutter at 1/15. The flash guns were set at 1/32 power since they were so close. Aperture was set at 5.6 in the end but could of been smaller! The reason is because of the polarizer filter to expose though the window that can eat 1 stop of light. 

Stay tuned for next entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment