Friday, April 23, 2010

The Power of 3!

 Here are 3 Nikon SB-28's on one Bogen stand, 3 Bogen brackets, 1 Superclamp, and a DIY Photo "A" clamp. To trigger this 3sync cords are used with 2 splitters and 1 Cybersync.

So today I just had to try out my newly acquired flash units together out in the sun because that is one of the ways I want to use these flash units! A friend of mine has mentioned, "why the heck use 3 of these things when you could just use one 580exII that you already have?" There are so many reasons to use these flashes over my 580ex. One of the main reasons to get the same flash exposure I can have faster recycle times between shots because I don’t need at 3 flashes to be at the same power to get the same exposure as the 580ex. Another reason is that since there are more flashes, I could increase the flash output to get flash units farther away from my subject so if I need to include more subjects in the photo I can have the flash farther away and light them all the same. And besides that I could just add effects to these things like gels, snoots, and grids and on one light stand I have three different things going on! All for less than a 580exII!  Damm it’s crazy!

Today's test with my power of 3 small old school Nikon sb-28's on a light stick is to underexpose the background to show the sky and to then light up my model, being my brother with his permission, to be 2 stops if not more brighter.



1/250 f8 ISO100 3 SB-28's at 1/2

Here is a successful test shot acquired by using my camera at ISO 100, f8 at 1/250. All of the Nikons were set at 1/2 power and was about 5-6 feet away. Not too bad, but I want the darker so lets close the aperture.

1/250 f11 ISO100 3 SB-28's off

Here the background is kind of where I want it. Now to turn on the strobes. I thought a good start was 1/2 based on the sun and how many flashes I had in use. Flash again is set about 5-6 feet away from my subject.

 1/250 f11 ISO100 3 SB-28's at 1/2

Starting to get somewhere, but I want my subject brighter, this is acceptable but its not dynamic enough for my tastes. Time to crank up all three to full and see what happens.

1/250 f11 ISO100 3 SB-28's at Full

Bingo! This is what I want! Great dynamic light with only 3 flashes. If I were to retake this shot again, I would introduce a reflector on the side of my brother to bring out more detail to the left of the subject, but all in all, pretty good for me!

Some debate I had is what would a 580exII look in this situation with the same settings? Well here is what it is like. Set up is generally the same with the flash about 5-6 feet away from my brother set at full power.
  1/250 f11 ISO100 580exII at Full

The shot looks quite dim, like my Nikon's at 1/4 or 1/2 power at the same distance. I decided to move the flash in closer about 3 feet from my brother above his head and this is the result:

 
 1/250 f11 ISO100 580ex at Full Note: Moved flash closer

Much better exposure but there are some key things that I don’t like. One I don’t have those highlights anymore, I need another flash to get them back or move this thing even closer. Another detail is that there is less coverage with the light. The nikons were zoomed out wide, but there were 3 aimed in the same general direction, one 580ex doesn’t give that same coverage that close zoomed at 24mm but still it can be done! 

There are many way to lighten up a shot, but for me I been lucky to get these flashes for cheap! Use what you guys got because the best equipment to take pics is the stuff you have! But you got to admit that to take some shots you need to buy certain equipment.

Stay tuned to see more about what I do and how I do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment