Thursday, April 22, 2010

MOAR FLASHESSSSSS!!!!! Like 5 more!

Four newly acquired Nikon SB-28DX's labeled for keeping track of the units.

Yep I took the plunge and purchased 5 more Nikon SB-28DX flash units. Why you might ask? Because it gives me allot more options when making a photograph. There have been many times where one flash unit was just not enough, forcing me to raise my ISO, or open my aperture losing the focus I wanted. If it was not effecting my settings then I was saying to myself that "I could really use another speedlight here" to add more light or drama to a photograph.  Lastly another technique I could do is double up on flashes to lower the amount of power needed by a flash unit so I can have a faster recycle time. But now my only problem is having enough triggers to use them all!

1/8th inch headphone splitter from RadioShack

The main technique I will be trying to use is doubling up on flashes to reduce flash power for fast recycles or to increase power to lighten up a immge without compromising my camera setting to get the shot. But there is one big problem and that is my flash to trigger ratio. Right now its 7:3, and even though ill be doubling up I thought I would need a trigger for each, but that is not so! I found that the cybersync uses a 1/8th inch mono jack similar to what is used for stereo headphones. By using a "Y" plug splitter, it gives me the ability to stick to 1/8th to PC Sync cords to trigger my Nikon SB's


Attached to the headphone splitter is some Scotch yellow adhesive tape to make the piece more noticeable if I lose it as well as set it off from other photography equipment from other photographers. Also attached to the splitters is Velcro so I can put it on the side of a flash if I dont need to use it!


Here is three of my flashes trimmed up with the yellow tape to help me label my units, here I will try to link all three to run off of one Cybersync. What I am using is two splitters and three PC Sync cords.


Here it is all fixed up. When I have this up on a rig or bracket, the Cybersync will be sitting on one of the units. Lets see if this works!


WOW! Awesome! It works perfectly! Now I almost have the ability to reduce or increase my flash ability by 3x! With this know, i can use these in a combination to combat the sun. Ill show an example of that later on when I get to trying that technique.


Here is all seven Nikon SB-28DX's all trimmed up the way I want them to give them a personal touch! To elaborate why im using these flashes again is because they are reliable Nikon flashes, they are affordable, and they have a built in PC Sync to work with my camera with a Cybersync. There is no big rule on what flash you can use other than can it sync with your camera in some way, so use what you can get from Minolta, Pentax, Sigma or other companies, they will serve you well to have more power or to experiment with.


Now this is a very impressive spread to me. I look forward to using all of these flashes!

Stay tuned to see how I do the things I do!

1 comment: