Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Tripod a Must!



Recently I got a tripod and I am very proud on owning it. Ha, I think I'm really proud because it such a professional looking, study, and robust tripod. What I got is a Manfrotto 3021 tripod with a Manfrotto 3028 Head. The head is a good model, but the locking levers get in the way! Well, when you loosen the lever to allow movement on one axis. If funds permits I will get a ballhead to quickly move about with my camera for shots. This Manfrotto can be higher than 60+ inches tall, and can be less than 10 inches off the ground! This will most definetly allow me to be eye level with my subjects for long periods, and it seriously is relieving not to hold it in place for over 5 mins of cars rolling in. Not only that, but just getting angles into hard to keep steady. Ill show examples of that in the future.



This tripod is just so darn useful! It gives me a position to keep consistent photos. Today I used this tripod at a local car meet at Gillis Motorsports grand opening. Cars rolled in and I had the camera set at a certain angle to capture the cars and just zoomed in the lens to frame a car just right!


ISO: 200 SS: 1/800 fstop: 2.8


ISO: 200 SS: 1/2000 fstop: 2.8


iso: 800 (forgot about my ISO indoors) ss: 1/2500 fstop: 5.6


iso: 800(still was shooting on a high iso...) ss: 1/4000 fstop: 5.6

With a tripod and my strobist work im looking to freeze my subjects with flash and have long enough exposures to pull out detail in low lighting outside or even inside with dim interior lights if the shot calls for it. Other than that, what I can readily say is that it will so help with group shots and portraits in general when I want to be in them or give the best sharpness possible. I know some people say you can just get sharp photos by using a fast shutter speed, but regardless if you are shooting at high sutter speeds you can be shaking or you just suck at holding a camera. It maybe a shooting aid, but hey I admit at time I cant hold steady enough to get a clean shot at time, especially less than 1/100th of a second!

If viewers are wondering what kind of gear I am even shooting with, I will get to it later. For now its going to be gear, lighting, leading up to my camera so don't worry about it because what camera you use does not really matter! Well, just as long as you have a way to sync up lights and have manual control, that is all that is needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment