Thursday, May 20, 2010

My First Time to Get a Sunset Background

Hey everyone! This is a post in a long while and that is because I have a new bicycle! Well not really, I built it myself from old parts that people didn't want anymore, but to make it work for the blog I had to take a decent picture of it. And that is what these pictures are, just decent. I really not thrilled by these pictures because I waited too long for the sun to set and it did not give me colors I wanted. Next time I shall try again, and take pictures of a longbaord that I also purchased! But for now, this is a nice pic for me of my bicycle.

First thing I did was take a test shot of the sky on "P" mode on my Canon to find out where the sky was reading at on my camera. I then took these readings on the manual and tried to photograph my bike quickly before there was no sky left to use as a backdrop on my bicycle!
1/125 f3.5 ISO 400 (forgot to change ISO for the test)

Here is a shot of the bike with the flashes set at about 1/2 power. I ended up shooting the bike at 1/16 power but should of angled the flash head differently to prevent unwanted highlights. But hey, this time I was scared about losing the sky in my picture, so I tried my best in the time I had left.

The set up was with two bare SB-28DX's aimed at my bike from the cameras left and right at about 45 degrees slightly higher than the bike.  Next time with better sky I will show a set up perhaps of this.

1/125 f3.5 ISO 400

Here is the shot with the aperture closed down a little and strait from the camera. After editing a little bit I got some more warmth into the picture as well as detail that was lost from the flash on the cameras left side on the bottom tube of the bike frame.

1/100 f5 ISO 400 Note: Original

1/100 f5 ISO 400 Note: Edited

Remember to find appropriate reading to take a sun set photo. You have little time and because in a matter of setting up for 5 minutes has lost me allot of my background. Also mind your highlights on your camera, turn the warning on so you can easily see if what is going pure white is worth losing in the photograph. This is something that I have learned and now going to improve the next time I take a shot like this.

Keep watching to see what else I do with my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment